Friday 28 April 2017

Beware of English expressions

Today’s English
April 28th, 2017

Nobody would like to wish their friends “break a leg" if they are going to take up exams, interviews or matches. but, you know, there is nothing wrong in that.  Break a leg is an English expression that simply means “good luck"

1. Friend 1: I'm gonna participate in a bike race today.
Friend 2: Break a leg.
2. I wished my sister, “break a leg", while going to her semester exam.

Similarly if your friend says that his father has bought the farm, don’t think that his father is a rich person and you may visit the farm one day. Don’t say congratulations. Because the expression “buy the farm” means “to die”.

1. Since he bought the farm, his family suffered a lot financially.
2. Before I buy the farm, I will make settlements for my family members.

In English, as the aforesaid one, “kick the bucket” also means “to die". Hence be careful in using English idioms.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods,
They kill us for their sport.”  - in Shakespeare’s” King Lear, Act 4, Scene 1


No comments:

Post a Comment