Wednesday 5 April 2017

The heart of ladies is a hard nut to crack, isn’t it?

Today’s English
April 6th, 2017

One of the most confusing words in English( but the most useful one) is “hard" because it is an adjective as well as adverb. In addition, it has two adverbial forms -hard, hardly.  The expressions with the word “hard" are more common in spoken English.

1.Hard = so solid, so it is so unbendable or unbreakable (Adjective)
It’s made of hard metal. You cannot break it easily.

2.Hard = difficult, tough (Adjective)
It’s hard to understand T.S.Eliot's poems.
It’s hard to say who will win the match.
This question is hard to answer.  (You can also use -hard to see, hard to hear, hard to read, hard to compare,etc.)

3.Hard = with great effort (adverb, not adjective)
He worked hard to complete the project.
She tried hard to solve the riddle.

4Hardly = rarely, scarcely, almost not (adverb, not adjective)
This smartphone has hardly been used. You can buy it from him.
I hardly know about him. (=I don’t know about him)
I could hardly believe that she did it. (= I couldn’t believe)

5.Be hard on somebody = to treat someone very severely/strictly
Science teacher is so hard on everyone.
Don’t be hard on her – she is my daughter.

6.Give someone hard time = to make difficult situation for them
My HOD is always giving me hard time. But I like and welcome it.
She gave me hard time to prove my love.

7.Hard and fast = cannot be changed for ever (used mostly after negative)
There are no hard and fast rules in this game.
You know, nothing in life is hard and fast.

8.A hard nut to crack = a difficult one to deal with
Is it a hard nut to crack? Any one can do it.
All the questions in the interview were hard nuts to crack.

9. No hard feelings = have friendly feelings
Though he did much wrong to me, I had no hard feelings.
Give me a handshake. Let’s have no hard feelings.

10. The hard way = to experience something unpleasant
He didn’t listen to me and had the hard way.
Without anyone to guide, I learnt the hard way. (=I learnt myself by committing mistakes)

(You know, Mr. Hardwork hardly goes unrewarded and the only doctor to treat you on hard times. )



No comments:

Post a Comment