Friday 7 April 2017

No need to bother about rather.

Today’s English
April 8th, 2017

When we pass our comments or express our feelngs about something, we frequently use words such as rather, quite, pretty and fairly. The adverbs “fairly” and “rather” generally mean “to some degree” But do you know that fairly is used before positive opinions whereas rather is used mostly before negative comments.? Look at the following sentences:
The exam was fairly easy.
The exam was rather difficult. The price is rather too expensive.

You can say that the exam was rather easy.  But it cannot have the same positive force as in the use of fairly. (“Rather easy” means slightly against your expectation it was easy. When you make comparison or convey opposite meaning, “rather" must be used, not “fairly".

His performance is rather better today. (You compare his previous one)
I expected him to be an active guy but he was rather a lazy fellow.(opposite)

Other uses:
1.Rather than = instead of
I like coffee rather than tea. (Instead of tea)
I like to play with children rather than reading books. And you?

2.Would rather …..(than) = would prefer to
I would rather die than live with you.
I would rather refer to a dictionary than ask my teacher.

3.Rather you than me = I wouldn’t like to do that you want to do
I’m going to that movie this evening. Would you like to join me?
Rather you than me.

(Man : How am I?
Lady : Quite handsome.
Man : How is my dress?
Lady: fairly nice.
Man : How is my car?
Lady: pretty good.
Man: What about marrying me?
Lady: rather difficult.
Man : why?  I would be happy if you would be my would be.
Lady: But my husband would rather be angry…
Man: ………..?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment