Thursday 6 April 2017

Tomorrow never comes…

Today’s English
April 7th, 2017

Do you go to a place early, punctually or late? We often do something or go somewhere late and make excuses in our day-to-day life, don’t we? In English, there are plenty of expressions to deal with such situations. Let’s try a few today:

1. At the eleventh hour = at the last possible moment or very late
How can we arrange for that? Why do you tell me about this at the eleventh hour.
Most of the students submit their record notes at the eleventh hour.
It’s our eleventh-hour decision that we cancelled the programme.

2. Latecomer versus late bloomer
Latecomer is one who arrives late whereas late bloomer is one who develops his skill later than others
Latecomers will not be permitted inside the meditation hall.
He’s a late bloomer and he picks up everything late.

3. Late versus lately
Late means doing something after expected time while lately means “recently”
He has never come late to the meeting.
I have lately seen him in the meeting.(recently)

4. Belated versus delayed
Delayed means “something put on hold" but belated refers to “something released after the fact"
He got the promotion delayed to him.
My belated wishes: Wish you a happy birthday.

5. To keep late hours = to stay out late at night
Don’t often keep late hours. It’s not safe nowadays.

6. Be too late =  after the possible time
It’s too late to enter the exam hall now. (= You cannot enter)
You're too late to apply for this job. (You can’t apply now)

7. Better late than never = doing late is better than not doing
Sorry I have come to your function very late. No problem, better late than never.

8. Posthumously = happening after a person’s death
He was praised by everyone posthumously.

9. Go down to the wire = result not decided or known up to the last moment
My thesis/the election went down to the wire.

10. Late in the morning, afternoon, at night, etc. = towards the end of that time
I got my job in my late thirties. (Around 28 or 29)
I met my friend late in the afternoon.

11. Be/put on ice = to decide to delay something for a period of time
The project is put on ice until further fund is received.
For the time being, my plan to go abroad is put on ice.

(A philosopher’s mother: when will you get married?
The philosopher: I’m too young to get married now.
Mother (after some years): when will you get married?
The philosopher: I’m too old to get married now. – Bacon)





No comments:

Post a Comment