Saturday 22 April 2017

Wanna know about gonna and gotta?

Today’s English
April 23rd, 2017

Wanna, gonna and gotta are frequently used in spoken and informal English, especially in American English.  If you watch any recent Hollywood movie or chat with foreigners online, you will be surprised to see their repeated use of these words. This kind of usage is called assimilation in which two or more spoken words “run in together”. Wanna understand how foreigners talk? Wanna speak like an American? Wanna know the uses of wanna and gonna?

1.Wanna means “want to", “want (a)" and “do you want a/an"

They wanna cancel the programme. (They want to….)
I wanna go home. I wanna see that.(I want to…)
He wanna be my boyfriend. (He wants to be…)
I wanna chat. (I want a chat/ I want to chat)
I know, you wanna charger. (You want a ..)
Wanna see that? ( Do you want to see that?)

2.Gonna means “going to"

She’s gonna resign her job.(She is going to….)
I’m gonna tell you the secret. (I’m going to..)
Our team is gonna win the match. (Our team is going to…)

3.Gotta = “have got to" “have to" and “have got a"

I gotta a chance to talk to her. (I have got a chance…)
I gotta go now. (I have to go now.)
Gotta mail from him? (Have you got a mail from him?)

(Do you know? : Wanna, gonna and gotta are making their way into literature, songs, films, etc. and almost all professors and college students exploit them to a great deal but OALD names them “non-standard” and merriam webster collegiate dictionary refuses to acknowledge their existence. (A logical question: What’s the use of dictionary if it is adamant like a puritan and doesn’t help identify and use “commonly and frequently used words in English”?)









No comments:

Post a Comment