Monday 3 April 2017

Learn English from Poetry

Today’s English
April 4th, 2017

The Autobiography of Everybody’s Moon

Born in a poorly family,
Everyone dealt with me poorly.

Like an early bird,
I came of age early.

With the only identity as a woman,
Soon everyone called me moon only.

Like a daily newspaper,
I was read by Mr. Gentleman daily.

The weekly visits of many
Brought me handsome money weekly.

The monthly touch of politicians
Raised my economy and inflation monthly.

With the rising yearly profit,
Rose the depreciation of this rose yearly.

Just for hourly pleasures,
Many paid me their treasures hourly.

I envied the leisurely moon,
I, being everybody’s moon, was not leisurely.

Brotherly, fatherly, friendly, manly, godly all meant nothing.
I was kindly to all with all, yet lonely from all.

Grammar point: To make an adjective into an adverb, we add -ly (quick-quickly). But there are many adjectives which already in form with -ly and function as both adjectives and adverbs – poorly, early, only, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and so on, used in the above poem both as adjective and adverb, except in the last two lines.  Note that all the words ending in -ly used in the last lines are not adverbs.  Though they end in -ly, they have only adjectival forms.  One exception is the word “kind" that is adjective but the word “kindly" is both an adjective and adverb.

“Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found the words.” – Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment