Tuesday 31 January 2017

Are you a fifth wheel?

Today’s English
January 31st, 2017

Have you ever heard about the phrases “fifth wheel" and “half the battle”?  If not, it is time to know them now.  You really feel as a “fifth wheel", when you attend a meeting, function or a similar situation in which nobody cares about your presence.  They don’t ask you for your opinion.  You have no role to play.

Examples:
1. Until the meeting was over, I had no chance to offer my opinions.  I was just a fifth wheel.
2. If you consider me a fifth wheel, why do you want me to be in your team?
3. Nobody recognised my presence. I felt like a fifth wheel.

The second phrase “half the battle" can be used when a significant progress is achieved in your goal.  It means, you got half of the victory. 
Illustrations:
1. What about your project? Is it half the battle?
2. Marriage invitation and marriage hall are ready. It is almost half the battle.
3. What about the implementation of 7th pay commission in Tamil nadu? It’s not even half the battle.

( Ravi: She has asked for one week time to tell her love.
  Rajesh: Congratulations. You have won half the battle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment