Tuesday 10 January 2017

Experiment 5 : Making Polite Expressions

Target audience: Polytechnic English teachers and students in Tamil nadu and others.
M scheme : Life and
Employability Skills
-----------------------------------------
Making Expressions of Politeness Used in Communication

1. Context: How will you greet your friend?
Hi Reshma, how are you? What’s new with you?

2. Context: How will you greet someone during a festival?
Wish you a happy Pongal / Diwali / Christmas / New year / Ramzan.

3. How will you congratulate someone on his success?
That’s great. I’m proud of you, Vinitha. Congratulations. (Or)
Congrats. You have made a big move. What about treat?

4. How will you compliment /encourage someone?
Vow. You look really smart in this dress. /
That’s a nice try. Go ahead.

5. How will you offer help to someone?
May I help you? / What can I do for you? / Would you like to have my pen?

6. How to make a request politely?
Could you please bring me your book tomorrow? /
Would you mind opening the window, please?

7. How will you express gratitude?
Thank you / Than you very much / Thanks / Thanks a lot.
I express my sincere thanks to Mr. Mohan.

8. How to apologize?
I’m very sorry. That’s entirely my fault. / Please,  forgive me for my words the other day. / Sorry to bother you madam. Can I remit my exam fees tomorrow?

9.  How to make complaints politely?
Well, I’m afraid. I have something to say against your son./ I wish, you wouldn’t mind if I point out your mistake.

10. How will you politely look for information?
Excuse me. May I know which time Mumbai express arrives here? / Do you have any idea about this book?

11. How will you ask for somebody’s opinion?
Have you got any comments on Surya's recent movie? / How would you react to current political scenario in Tamilnadu?

12. How will you offer your opinions?
In my point of view, it’s wrong./ As far as I’m concerned, it makes no difference. / I’m of the opinion that he’s right.

13. How will you ask someone to repeat what they say?
I’m sorry. I couldn’t hear you./ Pardon sir./ I’m sorry. Would you mind saying that again?

14. How will you express your sympathy?
How unfortunate! Is he in hospital now? / You look upset. Has anything gone wrong? / I know how you feel. But don’t lose hope.

15. How will you offer your suggestions?
Why don’t we gift a watch? How about sending Ram in stead of Venkat? That sounds a nice idea. Why can’t we try it?

16. How to seek permission politely?
May I go now sir? / Would you mind if I leave early madam?

17. How will you express your likes / preferences?
I would take a taxi rather than a bus. / I would love to watch “Saravanan Meenakshy”. I prefer to walk. What about you?

18. How to express possibilities?
He may get distinction this time. / I’m afraid, he may not be at home now. / I would be surprised if he joins with us today.

19. How to make warnings politely?
Mind your purse. Pickpockets are all around. / You had better not go this way. / I wouldn’t do that if I were you.

20. How to invite someone?

We are planning to go to Agra. Why don’t you join with us? / I would be pleased if you could attend my marriage next week.

If you want more on this, use the powerpoint below:


No comments:

Post a Comment