Monday 16 January 2017

Experiment 5 Making Polite Expressions as a Game

Life and Employability Skill Practical, M scheme

Experiment 5 as a game
Making Polite Expressions

Divide the students into groups, each with 6 to 8 members:

1.Hide and seek round
Teacher to provide a context and hide the right polite expression along with impolite ones.
 Each group will get one context.
 If the group fails to find the right one,  it will be passed to the next group only once. 
Score – 5 points
Timelimit – 1 minute (each group)

2.Parthiban Round
Teacher to provide a context as well as matching polite expression but with blanks.
For right answer 5 points, wrong answer 2 minus points,
If  Mission failed,  to be passed until mission completion
Time limit -1 minute

3.The Buddha round
Teacher to fix a context and supply an impolite expression that is to be corrected by the group
For suitable polite expression – 5 points
Time limit – 1 minute
Passing to be until target achieved

4.Madhavan Round (Iruthi Chutru)
Group A to provide a tough context for group B to answer. Similarly other groups.
Score – 5 points
No passing. If unanswered, the questioning group to reveal the answer and get the score.
Time limit 1 minute

Expected Results:
Enjoyable lab session
Students' interest to learn jumps up
Twenty or more contexts can be practiced
Teachers talk less, Students act more, learn more.

Tips
Polite Expressions (minimum 20)  made by the respective group members can be recorded in the record note with context.
Teacher to facilitate, by correcting, guiding, illustrating,  suggesting alternatives, by sharing other related expressions  and the like.
only one chance or maximum two chances only for any member in any group (to ensure participation of all students)
The loser group to offer a small gift to the winner group in the next class (Teacher is safe!)
Teachers can prepare questions for each round or they may utilise the following materials for their lab activities:

Materials:
Hide and seek Round
1.Ram happened to see his teacher in the bazaar about 7 P.M, he first wished him,
A)Goodnight sir   B) Hi sir   C) Good morning sir   D) Good evening sir
2.Your friend invites you to her marriage, and you are expected to say
A)Well done. B) May God bless you. C) Congratulations D) Wish you all the best
3.How will you encourage your friend who tries to speak in English?
A)That’s a nice try! Go ahead. B) Not bad. C) It’s not our way D) You’re killing me
4.The teacher is cleaning the board. Ranjitha said,
A)I can clean sir  B) May I clean the board sir?  C) I want to hep you sir D) Preethi, you go and clean
5.You want to read the book your teacher is using in the class. You ask her,
A)Can I read that book madam? B) I want to see that book madam. C) Give me that book madam.  D) Would you mind if I read your book madam?
6.“Certainly, here you are.” – Uma responded like this,
A)When Deepa suggested a book. B) When Deepa congratulated her on her success. C) When Deepa asked for her book,  D) When Deepa advised her

Parthiban Round Round
1.Santhosh thanked his uncle for helping him complete the school  project. The uncle responded him “___________”.
2.You are not all my friend. I won’t talk to you hereafter.  Why don’t you come to my marriage? She demanded explanation. Her friend opened her heart and said, ___________________.
3.Sheela didn’t like the way her friend’s father talked to her. She politely complained, “I wish, you ____________ to hear from me against your father.
4.Excuse me. _____ I know where I can meet Mr. Praveen?
5.______________________ about our English teacher? Neela asked her friend for her opinion.
6.Arun couldn’t hear what the teacher said. So he requested to repeat it by saying, ____________.

The Buddha round
1.Kavitha's brother lost the seminal final. She said, “Congratulations”
2.She suggested her friend a new model chudi by saying, “I like it for you.”
3.He knows, his manager won’t permit him. Still he asked, “Will you allow me to go early, sir?
4.I prefer car than taxi.  What about you?  Asked my friend.
5.Karthick was not sure, so he said, “Our friend won’t come today.”
6.She warned him, “ I wouldn’t do that if I was you.”

For Madhavan Round (Final Round),
No material is necessary for the teacher since groups will do the activities among themselves. (See the game instructions)

Answers:
1.1. D,  1.2.C,  1.3.A,  1.4.B, 1.5.D, 1.6.C
2.1 Welcome/most welcome, 2.2. I'm so sorry/ I'm extremely sorry, 2.3. Wouldn't mind 2.4. May, 2.5 What do you think/ what's your opinion, 2.6 I beg your pardon sir / Pardon sir/ Sorry sir, I couldn't hear you.
3.1 Dont worry. You really did well.
3.2. You would look smart in this. /Why can't you it?
3.3.Would you mind, if I go early sir?
3.4.I prefer car to taxi.
3.5. Our friend may not / might not come today.
3.6. If I were you

Experiment: 5 (for Record Note)

Date:

Making Expressions of Politeness Used in Communication


1. Context: How will you greet your friend?

Hi Reshma, how are you? What’s new with you?


2. Context: How will you greet someone during a festival?

Wish you a happy Pongal / Diwali / Christmas / New year / Ramzan.


3. How will you congratulate someone on his success?

That’s great. I’m proud of you, Vinitha. Congratulations. (Or)

Congrats. You have made a big move. What about treat?


4. How will you compliment /encourage someone?

Vow. You look really smart in this dress. /

That’s a nice try. Go ahead.


5. How will you offer help to someone?

May I help you? / What can I do for you? / Would you like to have my pen?


6. How to make a request politely?

Could you please bring me your book tomorrow? /

Would you mind opening the window, please?


7. How will you express gratitude?

Thank you / Than you very much / Thanks / Thanks a lot.

I express my sincere thanks to Mr. Mohan.


8. How to apologize?

I’m very sorry. That’s entirely my fault. / Please,  forgive me for my words the other day. / Sorry to bother you madam. Can I remit my exam fees tomorrow?


9.  How to make complaints politely?

Well, I’m afraid. I have something to say against your son./ I wish, you wouldn’t mind if I point out your mistake.


10. How will you politely look for information?

Excuse me. May I know which time Mumbai express arrives here? / Do you have any idea about this book?


11. How will you ask for somebody’s opinion?

Have you got any comments on Surya's recent movie? / How would you react to current political scenario in Tamilnadu?

 


12. How will you offer your opinions?

In my point of view, it’s wrong./ As far as I’m concerned, it makes no difference. / I’m of the opinion that he’s right.


13. How will you ask someone to repeat what they say?

I’m sorry. I couldn’t hear you./ Pardon sir./ I’m sorry. Would you mind saying that again?


14. How will you express your sympathy?

How unfortunate! Is he in hospital now? / You look upset. Has anything gone wrong? / I know how you feel. But don’t lose hope.


15. How will you offer your suggestions?

Why don’t we gift a watch? How about sending Ram instead of Venkat? That sounds a nice idea. Why can’t we try it?


16. How to seek permission politely?

May I go now sir? / Would you mind if I leave early madam?


17. How will you express your likes / preferences?

I would take a taxi rather than a bus. / I would love to watch “Saravanan Meenakshy”. I prefer to walk. What about you?


18. How to express possibilities?

He may get distinction this time. / I’m afraid, he may not be at home now. / I would be surprised if he joins with us today.


19. How to make warnings politely?

Mind your purse. Pickpockets are all around. / You had better not go this way. / I wouldn’t do that if I were you.


20. How to invite someone?

We are planning to go to Agra. Why don’t you join with us? / I would be pleased if you could attend my marriage next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment