Tuesday 20 June 2017

Be perfect in “perfect”

Today’s English
June 21st, 2017

The most frequently used tense form in speech and writing is present perfect because our life itself maintains a strong connection between the past and present like the present perfect. How we dress, cook, eat, work, celebrate and live has its roots in the past and we are helpless beggars if our valuable past is cut off from us at present that is what the impact of western culture on us actually means.  How to make use of present perfect in our day to day English and how to avoid errors in such an usage can be discussed today.

1.Past + present = present perfect
It’s a strange English formula but true. If you feel that an activity in the past is connected in someway to the present, your choice should be present perfect.

A.I have bought a new car. (Past:I bought a car + present: it is available with me now)
B.My son has come from Bangalore. (Past: He came + present: He is here now.)

2.Present perfect = an activity or occurrence recently happened
All the recently done works can be referred in present perfect.

A.I have completed my assignment/project. What about you?
B.Where is Mr. Prakash? He has gone to canteen.

3.Use present perfect to express your inability to help somebody.
A.Can you cancel my order? Sorry, we have already despatched the goods to your address. (Not able to cancel the order)
B.Can I have your book now? Sorry, I have given that to my HOD.
C.You have violated the government norms. (I can’t help you any more, the legal proceedings are certain)

4.Use it to express your guess or findings or “no need at present”

A.Someone has come to our room in our absence.
B.Somebody has used my laptop. Who is that?
C.I have already sent a reply. (No need at present)

5.Use it to express your experience

A.I have seen several people like you in my long career.
B.I have already gone there several times. I can accompany you.

6.Don’t use adverbs pointing past (yesterday, last week, last month, etc.) along with present perfect.

A.Incorrect: I have seen him yesterday.
Correct: I saw him yesterday.
B.Incorrect: I have gone to Chennai last month.
Correct: I went to Chennai last month.

( This morning, this afternoon, now can be used in present perfect : I have reached the second floor now.)

7.Present perfect or present perfect continuous?
Don’t ever use non progressive verbs (see, hear, taste, know, understand, etc) with present perfect continuous but with present perfect.

A.Correct: I have heard that song. (Present perfect)
Incorrect: I have been hearing that song…
B.Correct: they haven’t known the procedures.
Incorrect: they have not been knowing…

Another difference between these two forms is that present perfect refers to recently completed action but present perfect continuous refers to an action started in the past and “still going on” in the present.
A.I have written a book. (=I recently completed the work)
B.I have been writing a book. (= I started in the past and still the work is on progress, I haven’t completed.)

8.Don’t use the word “since" with past because since means from past to present. Therefore use it in present perfect or present perfect continuous.

A.Incorrect: it rained since yesterday.
Correct: it has been raining since yesterday.
B.Incorrect: He sent several letters to us since last week.
Correct: He has sent several letters since last week.
(Remember: only  yesterday, last week, etc. are used in past tense but since yesterday, since last week, etc. cannot be used.)

Let's stop here and not go deep into the grammar because,

“The greater part of the world's troubles are due to questions of grammar (perfection).”
-Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays

No comments:

Post a Comment