Wednesday 28 June 2017

Who means the world to you?

Today’s English
July 29th, 2017

“what do you mean?”, “what does it mean?” and “I mean,…..” are often heard in spoken English.  Do you know that “mean" means a lot, I mean, there are many more interesting expressions in the kingdom of Mean.

1.By fair means or foul = you want to achieve that’s all and it doesn’t matter whether the method is honest or unfair.

A.He was determined to get transfer to his native place by fair means or foul.
B.She made up her mind to clear the arrear papers by fair means or foul.

2.A man of means / a woman of means = one who has a lot of money.

A.I want to marry a man of means and get settled in life.
B.Why can’t you seek help from her? She is, in fact, a woman of means.

3.The end justifies the means = unfair methods are accepted if the result is positive

A.He gets extra commission but only to help the poor. He thinks, the end justifies the means.
B.Can you show any politician who doesn’t use black money to win the election? You know, for them, the end justifies the means.

4.To follow the golden mean = to follow a course of action that will not be both extremes

A.Some people never take food in hotels and some other always like to dine out. But I follow the golden mean. (=I go to hotel depending upon the situation)
B.Will you drink (alcohol)? Yes but occasionally, following the golden mean.

5.Lean and mean = fit and ready for hard work/ efficient work

A.Why can’t we give this work to Miss. Sunitha? She is, of course, lean and mean.
B.He made himself lean and mean as desired by the management.

6.To mean the world = to be very important to somebody, means everything

A.My son /daughter means the world to me.
B.My college/job/family means the world to me and I never think of anything else.

Just for fun!
(Girl: my father won’t agree. How will you marry me?

Boy: by fair means or foul.

Girl: seriously?

Boy: yes, I believe, the end justifies the means.

Girl: Do you love me that much?

Boy: you are a woman of means, how can I miss you?

Girl: What? I don’t hear you.

Boy: I mean, you mean the world to me.

Girl: Will you be Sri Rama to me after marriage?

Boy: I will be neither Sri Rama nor Ravana. Rather I would prefer the golden mean.

Girl: ………….?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment