Friday 16 June 2017

Something about “EVERYTHING”

Today’s English
June 17th, 2017

1.The full monty = the best that you can have, the whole, absolutely everything

A.When I bought a smart phone, I decided to go for the full Monty. (= tried to get the best I can have)
B.Why don’t you still understand me? Actually I explained the full Monty. (=explained the whole, absolutely everything)

(This expression is derived from the Oscar film the Full Monty (1997) in which a group of unemployed men find their job as strippers and take off absolutely everything on the stage they have worn.)

2.The whole nine yards = everything you can possibly do have in a particular situation

A.Can we complete the entire work today? Yes, of course. Let’s go the whole nine yards.
B.Have you taken the hall ticket, id card, pen and everything you need for the exam? Yes mom, the whole nine yards.

3.Everything in the garden is rosy = everything is fine

A.How’s your business going on? Everything in the garden is rosy. (=everything is fine)
B.I thought, everything in the garden is rosy but soon realized that few issues remained unsolved.

4.Everything under the sun = a very large number of things

A.We talked about everything under the sun and went to bed late hours.
B.She packed almost everything under the sun and got ready for the trip.

5.There is a remedy for everything except death = every problem can be solved if we try at our best

A.How can I set right this? Don’t worry. There’s a remedy for everything except death.
B.When Arun was afraid of the suspension, we consoled him that there’s a remedy for everything except death.

Remember: “everything” refers to “all things" but it’s a singular pronoun and takes singular forms of verbs such as is and goes. (Is everything  okay?)

(Girl : hi dear, how are things going on with you?

Boy: everything in the garden is rosy.

Girl: What nonsense you are talking! I don’t ask about your garden and the roses.

Boy: leave it. Tell me what I can do for you. I can bring you everything under the sun.

Girl: Why do I want all under the sun, the bloody rocks and mountains?

Boy: No. I mean, you can ask for things like ring, watch, bangles or smartphone…the full monty.

Girl: I haven't tasted monty ice cream yet. let me just take to an ice cream parlour. That’s enough for me.

Boy: No, let me go for the whole nine yards.

Girl: just going nine yards? But the shop is near bus stand.

Boy: o my god! How can I get with her? “There’s a remedy for everything except death” sounds meaningless here.

Girl: why are talking about remedy and death? Anyone serious?

Boy: Shut u...…………………………………p……!)

No comments:

Post a Comment