Wednesday 7 June 2017

Can you shop somebody?

Today’s English
June 7th, 2017

In English, to shop somebody does not mean “to buy somebody” but to inform about somebody to the police.

1. He tortured his wife and her sister shopped him to the police.
2. I know who stole my things and I’m gonna shop him!

When you go to several shops looking for the best product at cheap rate, it can be said in English as “shop around". (You compare the quality and prices in several shops)

1. I bought this mobile after shopping around the whole day.
2. Don’t be in a hurry to buy. Let’s first shop around.

Many people get satisfied just by visiting many shops and making queries about the product without buying anything. This is what we say in English “to go window shopping.”

1. I don’t have money. How can I join with you for shopping? No problem, let’s go window shopping.
2. Shop assistants are often irritated by people who do window shopping.

If you are very careless in your movements and behaviour especially in a place you shouldn’t be, then you are “like a bull in China shop.”

1. The principal got angry since he behaved like a bull in a China shop in the meeting hall.
2. Children generally run here and there like a bull in a China shop, don’t they?
3. Rahul, come and sit down here. Why are you mad like a bull in a China shop?

(Girl: why are looking like that?

Boy: I’m shopping around to shop a beautiful flower like you.

Girl: To shop me, you have to sell yourself for marriage. Are you ready?

Boy: My feelings are uncontrollable. I’m now like a bull in a China shop.

Girl: How can you get me if you are only interested in window shopping?

Boy: I don’t believe in marriage. Leave me. Bye.

Girl: What the hell you’re talking? You can’t run away from me.  Shop me or I will shop you to the police.

Boy: …………?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment