Thursday 30 March 2017

Did you ever have a black eye in your life?

Today’s English
March 31st, 2017

Expressions having the word “eye” are common nowadays in spoken English.  To familiarize with them will help you at several situations to speak fluently.

1. To have a black eye = to have received a blow on your eye and have bruise around the eye
Thanks to my wife. In my ten years of married life, I never had a black eye.

2. To have eagle eye = to watch things so carefully that nothing can escape your eye.
Even the tiny error in the project couldn’t escape the eagle eye of my HOD.
Nothing can escape my father’s eagle eye. I should be very careful.

3. To have the evil eye = to have the power to harm somebody by looking at them
Don’t look at him! He has the evil eye.
A sorcerer generally has the evil eye and controls others with magical powers.

4. Bullseye = the centre of the target in shooting

5. Catseye = a small object fixed into the road to reflect car's light to guide at night

6. The apple of somebody’s eye = a person or thing loved more than any other
She is the apple of her father’s eye. (=she is loved by her father very much)

7. To run your eyes = to look at or read something quickly
I just wanted to run my eyes over the project.
He just ran his eyes over the report and captured all details.

8. Be all eyes = to watch eagerly, carefully and with lot of interest
My kids were all eyes when I opened the gift pack.
Students were all eyes when the chief guest started to address.

9. To feast your eyes on somebody= to look at and get great pleasure
She was so beautiful. I feasted my eyes on her.
The interior design was so grand. And I feasted my eyes on each and everything.

10. With your eyes shut/closed = to have experience to do a work easily
I have handled this subject several times. I can teach it with my eyes shut.
This is not such a difficult work. Anyone can do it with their eyes closed.

(A teacher is to deal with the students with the eye of a parent without reducing their internal mark with “an eye for an eye” (=revenge) principle, isn’t it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment