Tuesday 14 March 2017

Let’s see today only “only.”

Today’s English
March 15th, 2017

The uses of “only" is not only one, so are the errors in its usage. General tendency to use "only" is after the word though the reverse is correct.

What is this “only"?
It’s both an adjective and an adverb.

1. Only = one. (Used as an adjective)
He is the only person who came forward to help me.

2. Only = very few (used as adjective)
These are the only books I borrowed from library.

3. Only = Not any more, not any other, not anywhere… (used as an adverb)
I want only this much. (Not any more)
Only Ravi and Priya participated in Elocution. (Not anybody else)
I went only there. (Not anywhere)

4. Position of only – use only before the concerned word. See the change in meaning in the following sentences:
Only I called you now. (Not anybody else)

I only called you now. (Only called not said anything else)

I called only you now.(Only you not anybody else)

I called you only now.(Not before)

5. If only = a stronger form of  “I wish”.  It has no connection with if clause and therefore two clauses are not necessary.
(Use past verb to mean past wish, or “would" to mean future wish)

If only I had a car =I wish I had a car. (Incorrect: If only I have a car)

If only I would pass the NET (a future wish)

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” – Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment