Saturday 11 March 2017

Let’s learn English from animals.

Today’s English
March 12th, 2017

How can we learn English from animals who don’t know English? The nature or behaviour or size of animals has given birth to a lot of idiomatic expressions in English. To be safe, share the meaning with your friends if they don’t understand and then use.  Let’s see the top ten among them:

1. To get the lion’s share = to get the greatest percentage of something
When his father died, he got the lion’s share of his property.
You can’t cheat me with a little piece of cake.  I want the lion’s share.

2. Hold your horses! = to ask to reconsider a decision
Are you mad? Why do want to marry that worthless guy? Hold your horses!
Before taking this responsibility, just hold your horses!

3. Elephant in the room = a big problem that people don’t want to talk about
Why are you all silent today? I understand there is an elephant in the room, but I can’t guess what it is.

4. Let the cat out of the bag = to reveal a secret
I didn’t tell anything about our plan. Tell me who let the cat out of the bag.
If I let the cat out of the bag, he will be angry with me. Let me hold my tongue.

5. Dog-tired = extremely tired, dog days = hot days
I’m dog-tired. Let’s rest for a while here.
Who would like to go out in the dog days?

6. Paper tiger = looking very strong and dangerous but really weak and harmless.
Don’t be afraid of him. He is just a paper tiger.

7. Like a bull in a China shop = very careless in movements and behavior
Children are generally running here and there in a function like a bull in a China shop, aren't they?

8. Crocodile tears = false tears
Don’t listen to her.  She is just shedding crocodile tears.

9. Like a bear with a sore head = With bad mood, treating everyone badly
What’s wrong with you today? Like a bear with a sore head, you are angry with everyone.

10. A fish out of water = be uncomfortable in a strange situation
After my transfer, I felt like a fish out of water in the new college.

(Girl : If I feel like a fish out of water, what will you do?
Boy : I will let the cat out of the bag to eat that fish.
Girl : ……………..??!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment