Thursday 16 March 2017

Will is more than an auxiliary verb, isn’t it?

Today’s English
March 16th, 2017

Can you use a word both for order and request? Yes, you can. That is “will”. 
1. Will you give me your pen for a while? (Request)
2. Will you shut up your mouth? (Order)

Shall or Will?
The use of shall is more formal than that of Will. It’s also old-fashioned if you use it in spoken English.
1. I’ll see you later. (Will, informal)
2. We shall send you the order copy by mail. (Formal, mostly in writing)

When you don’t want to do something but at the same time you are forced to do it, you can use the phrase “against your Will”.
1. They asked me to sign in the document against my will.
2. He was compelled to vacate the room against his will.

With a will = with willingness and enthusiasm
1. Do your work with a will, otherwise don’t do it.
2. If there is monetary gain, they will do it with a will.

If you are angry with someone for what they have done, you may use the phrase “bear somebody ill will"
1. He is doing everything against me, still I bear him no ill will. (= I’m not angry with him)
2. Don’t bear them ill will. They are not responsible for your transfer.

“Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
– Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment