Saturday 25 March 2017

Differences: hope, belief, faith and trust

Today's English
March 26th, 2017

Hope refers to your feeling that something will happen because you have a good reason for it. It is your positive thinking of something to happen.
Examples:
I hope that he will win the match.
I hope, he will return to her one day.
They hope that the film will prove to be a box office hit.

Belief refers to your feeling that something or somebody exists and is true.  You feel so with or without a reason.
Examples:
1. I believe in God but I don't believe in the stories about God. (Existence)
2. Believe me, I really went there and met him. (Truth)
3. It is hard to believe there is any such monster as seen in the film. (the existence of monster)

Faith denotes your strong belief in something or somebody that they will care you.  Belief develops into faith, implying long term relationship and  involvement.
The term is widely used in religious and spiritual contexts.
Examples:
1. I have faith in God. (You strongly believe that God will take care of you and He is really existing. )
2. He was killed for his faith in that religion.
3. We have ventured this task since we know, faith can move mountains.

Trust represents your feeling that something is safe and somebody is honest and so you can rely on them.
1.  He is such a great liar. How can I trust him. (He is not honest.)
2.  He trusted his friend and left his entire property under his care. (The property will be safe.)
3. My friend warned me not to trust him. (Not reliable)

Remember!
Hope is a matter of "possible happening."
Belief is concerned with "existence or truth in something."
Faith means "strong belief, one's care for you."
Trust is a question of "honesty, safety and reliability."

"I can believe anything provided it is incredible." -Oscar Wilde in "The Picture of Dorian Gray."

No comments:

Post a Comment