Saturday 4 March 2017

Get the power of get.

Today’s English
March 5th, 2017

Of all the verbs, “get" is the most exploited one and is used in several contexts in several meanings.  Let’s see how it is omnipotent and omnipresent.
1.Get = receive
I got a letter from my office.

2.Get = come
May I get in sir? Yes, get in. 

3.Get = go
I don’t want to see you any more. Get away from here.

4.Get = secure
He got first place in the race. He got 65% in Maths.

5.Get = buy
I got a new shirt yesterday.

6.Get = bring
Prabha, go and get some water for your uncle. 
Wait for a while. I will get him here.

7.Get = earn
It’s really profitable business. He gets 5 lakh per month.

8.Get = go/reach
When you get there, you will be informed further.

9.Get = arrive
We got here by six but the door was locked.

10.Get = become
He got angry, tired, upset, exhausted, etc.

11. Get =make/ persuade
I will get her to resign the job.

12. Get = to move 
Get down from the ladder.
How can we get across the river?

13.Get = understand
Did you get my point? 
He is a strange fellow. I can’t get him until now.

14. Get = was
He got killed in the riot.
He got married to her last week.
I got shocked to see his behaviour.

15. Get = to progress to state or condition
It’s already getting late.
I’m getting ready. Please wait for few minutes. 
I don’t expect the situation to get worse like this.

Now, did you get the power and usage of get? (=understand)

“The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.” – Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment