Thursday 6 July 2017

Do you have any matter to carry to your grave?

Today’s English
July 6th, 2017

Everyone has his own other side that is kept secret to many. If you talk about certain secret affairs, you should be very careful that somebody nearby may be listening to you and later they may tell it to others.  In such time, you should remember the English expression “walls have ears".

1. Don’t talk about this matter here. Be careful, walls have ears.
2. Walls have ears, let’s discuss this later in some other place.

There is one paradoxical English expression known as “open secret.”  If something is secret, it should not be open to all. And if it’s open, it cannot be a secret. However this expression is used to refer to a secret that is known to many people. 

1. It’s an open secret that our manager and Stella are going to get married next week.
2. It’s an open secret that every new announcement by government is a blessing in disguise to the ministers.

If you confide in somebody, it means that you trust them and share your secret affairs with them. You believe that they won’t tell that to others.
1. I confided in my friend about my secret affairs with Meena.
2. Don’t confide in him anything. He will leave you in trouble.

Have you ever decided to carry a secret to your grave?  Yes, you have to, if it cannot be told to anyone in your life.

1. I cannot open my heart to anyone about that matter. I have to carry it to my grave.
2. Sorry what you asking for is what I should carry to my grave.

"If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself.
- George Orwell, “1984”

No comments:

Post a Comment