Friday 7 July 2017

How to make up the expenses for makeup?

Today’s English
July 8th, 2017

A phrasal verb, by its very nature, structure and meaning, confuses most of the non-native speakers of English. Remember this first – “a phrasal verb = verb +preposition/adverb” and you should not guess the meaning of a phrasal verb by seeing the verb used in it.  Give up doesn’t mean that you give anything to anybody sitting up" and get in doesn’t merely sense that you receive anything inside of you. Verbs such as get, give, break, call, bring and turn have given birth to a great number of phrasal verbs that it’s very difficult to differentiate and remember all of them. For example, Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary has as much as 77 entries for phrasal verbs starting with “get".  Therefore new learners of English may first start with commonly and frequently used phrasal verbs such as bring up, call off, turn up and get into. Let’s try a few here:

1.Take out = borrow

A.Take the book from the table.
B.I want to take out a book from the library.
C.He has taken out a loan from SBI.

2.Make up = compensate, to invent a story (as excuse), to become friends again after a disagreement

A.I don’t know how to make up my absence there.(=compensate)
B.I made up some excuse for not attending the meeting. (=invent a story)
C.What we want now is that both of you should make up. (=become friends again)

3.Blow up = explode, to get very angry

A.The entire building blew up within a minute.
B.Don’t talk about this to your father. He will immediately blow up.

4.Bring up = to care and educate a child, to start to talk about something

A.I was born in Tirunelveli but brought up in Salem.
B.We don’t know how to bring it up to the knowledge of the principal.

5.Call in = to telephone your working place, to ask for somebody’s help/service

A.Nobody should call in sick tomorrow. (=nobody should go on leave)
B.What happened to you? Shall I call in a doctor?

Don’t forget! : If a pronoun follows a phrasal verb, you should carefully split it up.( Normal: I brought up three children. Split up: I brought her up in Chennai.)

Relax!
(Wife: When will you take me out by car?

Hubby: After I take out a car loan.

Wife: if you take out a loan, how will you make up the family expenses?

Hubby: by reducing the expenses for your makeup.

Wife: How dare! I will bring it up to my father.

Hubby: who cares? You can bring it up to your father but don’t bring up my daughter like you.

Wife: you…….?! Where is gas stove? Do you want me blow up the entire house, it’s hell!

Hubby: why do you blow up?  Let me call in a psychiatrist or your father, to give up all this nonsense.

Wife: (chasing) you…….?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment