Wednesday 12 July 2017

Do you have magic touch or Midas touch?

Today’s English
July 13th,2017

1. College/university achievements

Look at the following sentences:
A. She graduated cum laude from Harvard University.
B. She graduated magna cum laude from Harvard University.
C. She graduated summa cum laude from Harvard University.

Are you interested to do your higher study in the U.S? Then the above sentences matter you a lot.  The highest level of your achievement in a U.S. college or university is referred to by “summa cum laude”, the second highest level by “magna cum laude” and the third highest level by cum laude. (All these expressions come from Latin)

2. Teacher’s pet

A. I was my teacher’s pet during my school days.
B. The student you mention is our chemistry teacher’s pet.

The phrase “teacher’s pet” refers to a student who is liked best by a particular teacher and treated well better than other students.

3. In absentia = when the person involved being absent

A. How can a student get admission here in absentia?
B. I’m going on leave tomorrow but I can complete the work in absentia.

4. magic touch = special ability to do a work very well

A. Why can’t we assign this work to Mrs. Vinitha who has the magic touch?
B. Have you lost the magic touch? Why have you done your work like this?

5. Midas touch = ability to make financial success of everything you do

A. He has the Midas touch and he can make even hundreds into millions.
B. My wife is the Finance minister at home and she has that Midas touch.

Man: (over phone) Hello, Meenu, you will like my poetry for you. It begins like this...

“I, once my teacher’s pet, now your pet!

My deserted heart, changed into garden with your magic touch!

I, once useless rod, has turned into gold by thy Midas touch!

Why kill me still in absentia?” How is it?

Lady: What the hell you are talking! First check the number. Stupid! It’s Wrong number.

Man:………..?!

No comments:

Post a Comment