Tuesday 11 July 2017

If I were you, I would not do this

Today’s English
July 12th, 2017

New learners of English or non-native speakers of English with reference to grammar rules for ordinary sentences are likely to find fault with or at least get confused with sentences such as the following:

1. He insisted that the girl sit there. (Grammar mistake?: “the girl sit” or the girl sits there)

2. It’s important that the students and parents be aware of the rules and regulations of the college. (Why “be", not "are"?)

3. If I were you, I would deal with the matter in a different way. (Doubt : I was or I were?)

But actually the above sentences are typical examples for those expressing subjunctive mood rather than ordinary mood and therefore the verbs have been used in the subjunctive form instead of indicative (ordinary) form.

When to use subjunctive forms?
1. Subjunctive forms are used to express your wish, imagination, suggestion, insistence, demand, command,  recommendation and proposal in contrary to the facts.

A. I wish I were a cine actor. (Wish)
B. If I were a bird, I would be as free as air. (Imagination)
C. He suggested that the boy stand there throughout the day. (Suggestion)
D. I recommend that we not approve his demand.
E. He insisted/proposed that they be informed about this in advance. (Proposal/insistence)

2. Subjunctive forms are used in formal writing and speech.  The subjunctive use can be replaced with normal structures especially with “should"

A. Subjunctive: I suggested that they be aware of the new government order.
Ordinary: I suggested that they should be aware of the new government order.

B. Subjunctive: She insisted that he wait there till 5 o’clock
Ordinary: she insisted that he should wait there till 5 o’clock .

3. In “that clauses” as mentioned above and after adjectives such as important, crucial, essential and necessary, the subjunctive forms are used.

A. It’s essential that the order be cancelled at once.
B. It’s important that he send a mail immediately.

4. We have to use the subjunctive forms in certain “set phrases or idiomatic expressions” as it is without any change.

A. God forbid! = a fervent wish that something should not happen
(If it rains, God forbid, is there any alternative arrangement?)

B. So be it = an expression of acceptance ( if they criticize me for being very strict, so be it.)

C. Come what may = no matter whatever happens (We will stand together, come what may)

D. Suffice (it) to say = I needn’t explain you in detail for some reasons and what I say is enough (Suffice it to say that you need not come from tomorrow onwards.

E. Perish the thought = this will never happen/ don’t think so (Perish the thought that he will listen to us and understand our feelings)

Just for relax!

(Girlfriend: I wish, I were with an iPhone and a diamond necklace.

Boy : I wish, you be safe when you go out.

Girlfriend: it’s essential that a boy be capable of saying ok to the need of his girlfriend.

Boy: If I were you, I would not demand like this.

Girlfriend: if I change my sim, God forbid, how will you contact me?

Boy: if it is the reward for my love, so be it.

Girlfriend: suffice to say, you needn’t contact me in any way  hereafter.

Boy: perish the thought that I’ll follow you without self respect. )

No comments:

Post a Comment