Monday 18 September 2017

Bread always falls on the buttered side, doesn’t it?

Today’s English
September 18th, 2017

United we stand, divided we fall, don't we?  Fall but only to rise, like the sun! Things fall apart when they are old enough, so are humans.  Fall is a magic word in English and has been in use in several beautiful day to day expressions. Let us see three of them today:

1. Apple does not fall far from the tree = used when your kids behave like you

A. My son cheats in the same way I cheated my mother.  I realize now, the saying 'Apple does not fall from the tree' is true.
B. If you don't take care of your parents, remember that your kids will do the same one day. Because Apple does not fall far from the tree.

2. Bread always falls on the buttered side = when one thing goes wrong many things go wrong at the same time

A. Just as bread always falls on the buttered side, I had several misfortunes one after another today.
B. I was already ten minutes late. My bike also didn't start for a long time. You know, bread always falls on the buttered side.

3. Escape the bear and fall to the lion = escape from one danger or problem only to fall a victim to a bigger one

A. I escaped from my HOD but caught hold of my principal for not coming in uniform. I didn't expect to escape the bear and fall to a lion.
B. I could tell a lie and escape from my sister but my father found the truth. You mean, you escaped the bear and fall to the lion?

“I was falling. Falling through time and space and stars and sky and everything in between. I fell for days and weeks and what felt like lifetime across lifetimes. I fell until I forgot I was falling.”
- Jess Rothenberg, “The Catastrophic History of You and Me”

No comments:

Post a Comment