Wednesday 20 September 2017

How to offer suggestions and advice in English?


Today’s English
September 21st, 2017
You are likely to offer suggestions or pieces of advice to three categories of people:
1. To your children, students, subordinates, etc. who are below your age and position.
2. To your friends, relatives and colleagues who are almost equals to you in your age and status.
3. To your teachers, parents, elders, seniors, higher officials, boss, etc who are to be approached in a respectful way
(Keep this in mind when you try any one of the following:)
Here are ten ways to offer suggestions / advice
1. Should and shouldn't (less strong)
A. You should submit your assignment on or before next Friday.
B. We should consult a lawyer for legal opinions.
C. You should not leak out this information to anyone. It's highly confidential.
D. You should not repeat this again.
2. Must and have to (strong, there is no other go)
A. You must enter the exam hall before 10 a.m.
B. Do we have to finish this work today itself? Yes, you must.
C. You have to pass this test to move to the next level.
3. Why don't you….
A. Why don't you consult a doctor immediately?
B. Why don't you bring this to my knowledge?  Why don't you tell me about this the other day?
C. Why don't you search for materials online? Why don't you try this app?
4. How about + verb+ ing ? / Would you like…….?
A. How about going for a shopping now?
B. How about taking a small break now?
C. How about taking a taxi?
D. Would you like coffee or tea? / Would you like to see your daughter now?

5. If I were you, I would….
A. If I were you, I would dismiss him first.
B. If I were you, I would contact her parents first.
6. You had better….. (The best thing to do in a situation)
A. You had better cancel your classes tomorrow. Govt buses won't run.
B. He will be on leave tomorrow. You had better go and meet him now.
7. Should have (less strong), must have (strong), might have (more polite)
A. You should have made arrangements in advance.
B. You must have consulted a civil engineer.
C. Madam, you might have informed me earlier. /I think, we might have sent a nil report.
8. Do you think it is a good idea to….
A. Do you think it's a good idea to attend a coaching class for this exam?
B. Do you think it's a good idea to meet her in person now?
9. You could always…
A. You could always discuss with superintendent who will guide you properly in all purchases.
B. You could always take your parents with you for moral support.
10. Use don't and imperatives
A. Don't try the blue whale game. It's difficult to drop out in the half way.
B. Don't make any complaints about him. He's a gentle man.
C. Stop calling him again and again. He may be sleeping now.
D. Keep a distance from him. He's a dangerous guy.
Wife: my birthday comes in the next week. you must give me a costly gift this time.
Hubby: How about a new silk saree like the one your friend Nandhini had put on the other day?
Wife: I hate both Nandhini and silk saree.
Hubby: Do you think it's a good idea to buy iPhone as same as my colleague Malathi's?
Wife: Don’t talk about Malathy and the bloody idea of buying iPhone.
Hubby: Why don't you go for a diamond ring and shine as beautiful as my boss Miss.Shobana?
Wife: it’s the most disgusting thing I have ever seen.
Hubby: Otherwise, we could always go to an orphanage and spend money and time with them as my friend Stella generally does.
Wife: Will you please stop talking about these ladies? You had better just give me a greeting card. That's enough for me.
Hubby: (this, this, this is what I expected) ok da. As you like it da chellam.


No comments:

Post a Comment