Tuesday 26 September 2017

Difference between lose and miss

Today’s English
September 26th, 2017

Look at the following two sentences:
1. I lost my mother.
2. Mom, I miss you a lot.
They are definitely not same in meaning.  Missing means staying away from something and not making use of something and feeling sorry for that.  You can miss a bus or train.  You can miss a ball in sports. You can miss an opportunity.   If you are missing the point, it means that you don't understand what others say.

1. She missed the last bus.
2. It's the last ball. Don’t miss it.
3. You are still missing the point. Let me tell you again.
4. I miss you dear friend and I have no one to share my feelings now.

If you are taken away from something or somebody permanently in a way that you could not get back, use the word “lose" (correct pronunciation “looze”, past and past participle “lost", not to be confused with “loose" and the noun loss).  If you could not find something or somebody, you can use “lose” as in the sentences : I lost my key somewhere / I lost my friend in the crowd. It means that you couldn't find them.
1. I lost my friend in the accident.
2. He lost his job.
3. I lost my route while coming back home. (=couldn't find)
4. I lost my pen somewhere here. (= misplaced )
5. She lost her interest in reading books. (= has less interest)

Husband (over phone) I miss you a lot chellam.

Wife: really?!

Husband: yes, without you, I feel as if I have lost everything.

Wife: really?!

Husband: yes da chellam. I'm longing for seeing your face. When will you come back?

Wife: Sorry dear. I have mistaken you a lot. Don't worry dear. Let me take the next bus and come home at once.

Husband: oh my God! I'm lost for ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment