Tuesday 5 September 2017

Differences: interrupt, interfere, intervene and intrude

Today’s English
September 5th, 2017

Interrupt versus interfere
When somebody is doing something important or saying something, you may be in a situation to talk to them, then you interrupt them.   But interfere means that you are getting involved in something with which you are not concerned.  Interrupt is what you have to do but interfere is what you are not supposed to do because someone’s privacy is disturbed and they may even be hurt by your interference.

1. Sorry to interrupt you madam, deputy collector has come to meet you regarding an important issue.
2. Excuse me, I hope, I’m not interrupting you, why do talk about politics here?
3. Don’t interfere into my personal life. It’s none of your business.
4. Why do you interfere with this matter? It no way concerns you.

Intrude versus intervene
If you go to a place where you are not supposed to go, you intrude that place.  But intervene means that you get involved into a situation in order to help somebody, or solve a problem.
1. Intruders (trespassers) will be prosecuted.
2. Why did you intrude his room? He won’t like it.
3. If I hadn’t intervened, they would have killed him.
4. The government asked the district collector to intervene the issue and solve it immediately.

(Clerk : Sorry to interrupt you sir, may I know why you are doing romance with this lady?

Manager: How dare you to intrude my room? Why do you interfere my personal affair?

Clerk: because… she is my wife sir.

Manager: ………..?!)


No comments:

Post a Comment