Tuesday 12 September 2017

Common Thought Fillers in English

Today’s English
September 13th, 2017

You know, we want to speak English as we breathe.  Your English sounds natural with fillers which are very useful and supportive in spoken English especially when you don't know what to say next.

A filler is a word or group of words or expressions used primarily to fill the gap in continuous speech.  Some of the fillers have meanings but others don't and simply serve you to assist while you think what to speak next.

Common Fillers in English:
1.You know/ you see = showing that something is already understood but the listener
Well, you know, I'm not that type of girl as you think.

2.I know = used while changing the topic of speech
I know, but, it's not time to talk about that.

3.You mean = used to clarify or confirm something.
You mean, there will be problem at the time of approval?

4.I mean = used to explain your statement or correct it
Let us not talk about that now, I mean, we have a lot of urgent matters to discuss with.

5.I see / oh I see= I understand what you say
Only few students attended the special classes. I see!

6.By the way / bye the bye = used while talking unrelated matters
Bye the bye, where is John whom we left out completely?

7.By all means = showing your willingness to give or do something for others
Do you mind if I use your net for a while? By all means.

8.After all = used while giving a reason
She is, after all, a sweeper! How dares she to argue with me!

9.I'm afraid = used while foreseeing the danger
It's a creative idea but, I'm afraid, the chief guest may feel a little bit hurt.

10.Of course = yes / while giving permission to others or emphasizing truth in somebody's statement
Could you please help me? Of course, I can.
Of course, what he says is correct.

“The more gaps a leader can bridge, the more significant influence she or he can make.”
-Pearl Zhu, “Digital Gap

1 comment:

  1. As someone who has explored various cosmetic treatments, including dermal fillers, I can attest to the transformative power they hold in rejuvenating one's appearance. My journey to find the right provider led me to search for cosmetic fillers near me, and I'm glad I took the time to research and choose a qualified practitioner. Dermal fillers have not only helped me address specific concerns like volume loss and fine lines but have also boosted my confidence significantly. It's essential for anyone considering fillers to prioritize safety, expertise, and personalized care when selecting a provider. With the right guidance and a skilled professional, dermal fillers can truly work wonders in enhancing natural beauty and restoring youthfulness.

    ReplyDelete