Thursday 14 September 2017

Indian English Expressions (part -3)



Today’s English
September 15th, 2017
(This is the continuation of part 1 posted on May 11th, 2017 and part 2 on May 21st, 2017 on www.spokenenglishabcd.blogspot.in)
11.To hit on one's belly / to throw mud at one’s livelihood
Meaning: to deprive someone from their means of livelihood
Examples:
A.Why do you hit on his belly? Don't make any complaint against that sweeper.
B.She is the breadwinner of her family. Don't talk lies and throw mud at her livelihood.
12.To eat one's salt
Meaning: to be much obliged /indebted to somebody
A.Believe me master! I'll be faithful to you throughout my life because I have eaten your salt.
B.I can't cheat him. I’ve eaten his salt.
13.My name is not… / I’m not…..
Meaning: an Indian form of swearing or taking a vow to do something
Examples:
A.If I don't complete this work before evening, my name is not Sanjay.
B.I’ll knock her down in the match. Otherwise, I'm not Preethi.
14.To break one's own head
Meaning: to have a problem /troubles and not knowing how to solve them
Examples:
A.I couldn't find the answer. I'm still breaking my head.
B.Are you breaking your head and don't know how to complete your project/thesis. We are here for your assistance. Just give a missed call.

15.I wish you had died in my womb/ I had killed you in my womb
Meaning: (mother's curse ) used while being angry with the children at their immoral or undesirable behaviour against Indian culture
Examples:
A.I wish you had died in my womb! Why did you steal this money?
B.How dare you love that worthless guy? I wish I had killed you in my womb.
American Lady: Are you cheating me? Where is my purse kept here?
Indian servant: God promise madam! I don't take that.  I have eaten your salt madam.
American Lady: How dare you steal away the salt too? I fire you. Get lost.
Indian servant: Don't shoot me madam! Don't hit on my belly madam.
American Lady: again you are lying? When did I touch your bloody belly?
Indian servant: My name is not Shiva, if it is true madam.
American Lady: your name is not Shiva? You told me it's so when you got here. A great cheat you are!
Indian servant: I wish my mother had killed me in her womb! Otherwise why should I break my head here?
American Lady: you mean your mother is a killer? Don't break your head here and make me waste my time between court and police station. Get out I say!
Indian servant:……..?!

No comments:

Post a Comment