Sunday 26 February 2017

Can you eat somebody for breakfast?

Today’s English
February 27th, 2017

Yes. You can eat a boy or girl or even your enemy for breakfast.  The expression “to eat somebody for breakfast” simply means “you are able to control them very easily”  and / or “you are able to defeat them very easily"

1.You cannot eat my son for breakfast. (=You cannot control my son easily.)

2.An inspiring teacher always knows how to eat her/his students for breakfast.

3.In the final match,  I’ll eat him for my breakfast. (=I will defeat him very easily.)

There is also another interesting (but disapproving) phrase connected with breakfast – “a dog’s breakfast”  that does not mean breakfast given to any dog.  It means “a person who is very untidy" or “something that you have done very badly.”

1.Her handwriting is nothing but a dog’s breakfast and she has to improve that a lot.

2.The beggar was a dog’s breakfast (=very untidy) and I was a little bit scared of him.

3.Why have you made your project a dog’s breakfast?(=done very badly) I’m afraid, it won’t be approved of.

N.B. 
1. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are not used with the definite article “The”unless a specific reference is there.

2.“Have you had your breakfast?” is more common and appropriate
than “Did you have your breakfast?”

(Wife:  Being your wife, I can eat you for breakfast. (=can control you easily)
Husband: Being your life partner, I too can eat you for my breakfast.)

No comments:

Post a Comment