Wednesday 15 February 2017

Correct the Errors

II MOP, IV Semester, M scheme, English II

The following questions are taken from the prescribed book, page no. 98-99

F. Correct the errors in the following sentences:
1. I am liking burgers.

2. I usually feeling tired in the morning.

3. I’m hungry. I am wanting something to eat.

4. I am knowing that it is true.

5. I am agreeing with you.

6. I am having flu.

7. She is having three sisters.

8. Oh My God! I picked up a hot dish.

9. I burnt myself.

10. I know her for a long time.

11. When did they arrived?

12. I did not went there.

13. We lived here for twenty five years.

14. In each episode, Shah Rukh Khan encounters many hazards, but he overcame them and continued to defend Ali.

15. I will come if he will call me.

16. See the clouds. It will rain.

17. Look! That kid will fall off his bike.

18.  I think I go to bed.

19. Do you know where does she come from?

20. How have you done that yesterday?

Answers:
(From first to seven, non-progressive / stative verbs have been used and they refer to a state, not an action. Since they are not to be used in continuous forms here. Other such verbs are:
·                          feeling: hate, like, love, prefer, want, wish
  • senses: appear, feel, hear, see, seem, smell, sound, taste
  • communication: agree, deny, disagree, mean, promise, satisfy, surprise
  • thinking: believe, imagine, know, mean, realize, recognize, remember, understand
  • other states: be, belong, concern, depend, involve, matter, need, owe, own, posses )
1. l like burgers.

2. I usually feel tired in the morning.

3. I’m hungry. I want something to eat.

4. I know that it is true.

5. I agree with you.

6. I have flu.

7. She has three sisters.  

8. Oh My God! I have picked up a hot dish.  (Questions 8, 9, 10 are based on the issue “whether past or present perfect.” Present perfect is used to refer to an action happened in the past but consequences are felt in present, or along with for / since as duration of time )

9. I have burnt myself. (consequences are still felt in the present)

10. I have known her for a long time. (used with the preposition for)

11. When did they arrive? (did + arrived is wrong)

12. I did not go there. (did + went is wrong)

13. We have lived here for twenty five years.

14. In each episode, Shah Rukh Khan encounters many hazards, but he overcomes them and continues to defend Ali.

15. I will come if he calls me. ( subordinate clause in if clause here must be in present if main clause is future)

16. See the clouds. It is going to rain.( “ going to” = about to happen)

17. Look! That kid is going to fall off his bike.

18.  I think I will go to bed. ( you think something that is to happen in future)

19. Do you know where comes from? (where is used here in subordinate clause, not as in question)

20. How did you do that yesterday? ( a specific time in the past and hence past tense is used.)

No comments:

Post a Comment