Saturday 25 February 2017

Difference Between Marriage and Wedding

Today’s English
February 26th, 2017

The word “marriage” refers to the legal or long term relationship between two opposite sexes.  On the other hand, wedding points out the ceremony of getting United for such a relationship either in church or Wedding Hall or Registrar Office usually followed by reception, music, entertainment and feast. “He had an unhappy marriage” means “he was separated or divorced” but “he had an unhappy wedding" means “The ceremony did not go smoothly or stopped somewhere in the middle”.  The former is a marriage disaster whereas the latter is a wedding disaster.

So you can invite someone to your wedding, not to your marriage.

You celebrate wedding anniversary every year, rather than marriage anniversary.

Other Expressions Connected with Marriage/wedding:
1. Hear wedding bells= to think that the two are going to get married
When we often found them together, we heard the wedding bells.
I already heard the wedding bells and now you have brought the invitation. (=I already thought you would soon get married…)

2. He proposed to me. (=He asked me to marry him)

3. He is my fiancé. (=He is the man whom I am going to marry)
She is my fiancée. (See the spelling. The woman you are going to marry.)

4. I am already betrothed to her. (=My engagement to her is already over)

5. Is it a stag party or hen party? (=The party given by bridegroom to his friends or the one by bride to her friends?

“Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave.” – Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment