Tuesday 21 February 2017

How to Seek Permission?

II MOP, M Scheme,
IV Semester, English II

J. Write the appropriate expression to ask for permission:
1. Samy to his mother: I want to have an ice-cream.
2. Student to the Teacher: Grant me leave for two days.
3. Ram: Am I permitted to use your computer?
4. A man to his employer: “ I’d like to take your umbrella.”
5. Wife to husband: “I wonder if I could borrow your scooter.”
6. Ravi to his manager: Can I turn on the fan for a moment?
7. Father to daughter: May I ask you a question?
8. Brother to sister: Would you mind if I used your eraser?
9. Employee to Employer: I’d like some advance on my salary.
10. Reporter to Minister: I’m going to ask you another question.
11. Husband to wife: I wonder if I could have a cup of tea?
12. Girl to sister: I should be obliged if you would permit me to wear your blue jeans tonight.
13. Student’s letter to Principal: Will you mind if I didn’t take the final exam?

Answers:
1. Samy to his mother: May I please have an ice-cream? (This is the answer given in the prescribed book and I have given it here, though I partly disagree with that)
2. Student to the Teacher: Would you mind to grant me leave for two days, Madam?
3. Ram to his friend: Can I use your computer?
4. A man to his employer: “ Would you mind if I took your umbrella?”
5. Wife to husband: “Can / Could I borrow your scooter?”
6. Ravi to his manager: Would you mind if I turned on the fan for a moment?
7. Father to daughter: Can I ask you a question?
8. Brother to sister: Can I use your eraser?
9. Employee to Employer: Would you mind if I had some advance on my salary?
10. Reporter to Minister: May I ask you another question, Sir?
11. Husband to wife: Can I have a cup of tea?
12. Girl to sister: Can I wear your blue jeans tonight?
13. Student’s letter to Principal: Would you mind if I didn’t take the final exam?/ I should be obliged if I were allowed not to take the final exam.

Guidelines:
We commonly use certain modal auxiliaries to seek permission. Their order of politeness is given from the lowest to highest as follows:
Can I have your pen?    -  Informal, to a friend, to subordinates, elders  to children…
Could I have your pen? – Less formal, to known people, equals, spouse, colleagues who are friends…
May I have your pen? – Formal/ polite, subordinates to higher officials, youngsters to elders, unknown people, colleagues who are new or not very close, students to teachers…
Would you mind if I had your pen? More formal/ more polite, people of highest rank, status, employees to employer, youngsters to elders, students to principal, chief guest, resource persons…
I wonder if I could have your book? / I should be obliged if I were permitted to have your book. – the Most formal / the Most polite

How to find appropriate expression?
Which expression you should use depends on
(i) to whom you are talking (the person’s status/ his relationship with you)
(ii) whether the situation is formal or informal ( whether the person you are addressing  is your teacher/employer or your friend / wife/ child…)


No comments:

Post a Comment