Thursday 23 February 2017

Let’s know a Little about Know

Today’s English
February 24th, 2017

Do you know that you cannot say – “I know to operate this machine.” ?  In English, the verb “know" is never followed by a simple infinitive. Here, we must use “how" before the infinitive : I know how to operate this machine. The same goes with “ I know how to chat on Whatsapp and Facebook. “

Some other common expressions with “know"
1. As far as I know = to my knowledge
As for as I know, we haven’t received any letter from DOTE regarding this scheme.

2. Know-how = knowledge of how to do something
First acquire the know-how of this work and then ask your doubt.

3. Known what is like to be = to have your own personal experience
Though I’m settled enough now, I have known what is like to be with hunger.

4. Know your way around = to be familiar with something
I have visited that place several times. I know my way around there.

5. Know which side of your bread is buttered = to know how to get advantage of something
Wherever he goes or whomever he meets, he knows well which side of his bread is buttered.

6. Know something backwards = to know something extremely well
With 20 years of experience, he knows all procedures backwards.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”  -Socrates

No comments:

Post a Comment