Wednesday 22 February 2017

Let’s deal with the word “deal"

Today’s English
February 23rd, 2017

Deal is one of the most frequently used words in our day-to-day English. The word is mostly used in games, especially in playing cards. Here preposition is not used.   “It’s your turn to deal cards” means It’s your turn to distribute cards among members.  The word is frequently used with a preposition “with" when you treat a subject, question, problem, person, etc.  as in the expression: Don’t worry. Let me deal with him.

Other common usages of “deal":
1.Deal = agreement or contract
We made/signed/closed a deal with him.

2.You are to collect materials and I am to carry out typing.  It’s a deal/That’s the deal.  O.k?

3.A good deal of/ a great deal of = sufficient/much
I spent a great deal of time with Ashoke sir when I was in Kolkatta.

4.I got a good deal on my smartphone. (=bought it very cheaply)

5.To get a raw deal/ rough deal = treated unfairly
We often get a raw deal in our working place.

6.No big deal = Not a problem / Not important.
You may just try at your best. If you don’t get the order, it’s no big deal.

7.Deal a blow = extremely shocking
His death/suicide/the incidents in Tamil Nadu assembly dealt a blow to the whole nation.

8.Deal in = trade in /buy and sell a product
The company deals in programming software /cars.

9.Dealings = business activities/connections/previous relationship
I have no dealings with him now.

10.Double-dealing = dishonest behaviour to cheat others.
You speak kind words to me but speak ill of me to the boss.  Please stop all your double-dealing sir.

“Do not say a little in many words but a great deal in a few.”  - Pythagoras

No comments:

Post a Comment