Friday 17 February 2017

Common Errors in the Usage of Some English Words

Today’s English
February 17th, 2017

Can you find out the errors in the following sentences?
1.I answered to his question.
2.I asked a question to him.
3.We entered into the class.
4.He resembled to my relative.
5.We are discussing about Apple iPhone 7.
6.Without password, we cannot access to his mobile.
7.We reached to the place very early.
8.I am awaiting for your reply.
9.I helped him to collect the data.
10.With your advice, you cannot make her to come early.

There are some non-propositional verbs in English which are not followed by a preposition.  Just remove the preposition that comes after the verb in each sentence. Now they are ok.

Correct expressions:
1.I answered his question.
2.I asked him a question.
3.We entered the class.
4.He resembled my relative.
5.We are discussing Apple iPhone 7.
6.Without password, we cannot access his mobile.
7.We reached the place very early.
8.I am awaiting your reply.
9.I helped him collect the data.
10.With your advice, you cannot make her come early.

But remember, if any one of the above verbs is used as a noun, then we must use a preposition. See the difference:
1.We discussed the new project.
We had a discussion about the new project.
2.We can access his mobile.
We are able to have access to his mobile.
3.He entered the room
His entry to the room is restricted.

“Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.” – Oscar Wilde, “Lady Windermere’s Fan"

No comments:

Post a Comment