Wednesday 10 May 2017

A Little About e.g., etc. and i.e.

Today’s English
May 11th, 2017

Some abbreviations which are commonly used in English are given below with full forms, origin,  meaning, usage, rules and guidance to avoid possible errors:
1.e.g.
Full form : exempli gratia
Origin : It’s from Latin language

Meaning: For example

Usage: Now it’s time for you to try some dramas of Shakespeare, e.g. Hamlet, Macbeth and Othello.

Rule/ common error: it must be preceded by a comma and followed by a  dot after each letter.  You should give at least one example after this abbreviation. It may be read as “e.g.” or “for example” though many Indians think that the second one alone is correct.

2.etc.
Full form : et cetera
Origin : It’s from Latin language

Meaning: and so on / and so forth/ and other similar things

Usage: While going to interview, you should take your certificates, resume, call letter, etc.

Rule/ common error: This abbreviation is used to avoid giving a long list of things we want to mention. Don’t use “and” before etc. (Wrong usage: We have a new car, Colour TV, Washing Machine and Fridge, etc.) When you use it in a sentence, it must have a comma before and a dot at the end. It should be read as “et setara” or “it setara” but not as many people wrongly pronounce –“ek cetera”.

3.i.e.
Full form : id est
Origin : It’s from Latin language.

Meaning: that is / that is to say (used to say before explaining what something means)
Usage: Your increment date falls on the first day of  third quarter, I.e. 1st July.

Rule/ common error: In a sentence,  it must be preceded by a comma and followed by a  dot after each letter. It can be read as “eye ee” or “that is" but many people prefer the second one.

Remember: Nobody reads the abbreviations “e.g.” and “i.e"  as exempli gratia and id est though these are what they actually stand for.

Manager : I have to say something to you, just few words, i.e. I…

Typist: What? Why did you stop it sir? Tell me the other  words.

Manager: I’m afraid, you may get angry.

Typist: What kind of words are they? Any clue?

Manager: it may be words, e.g.  evolve, solve, love,  dove and move.

Typist: What is the use of beating about the bush by saying solve, evolve, dove, etc. I’m always for one who is courageous enough!

Manager: This lifts me up a bit.  I wanted to tell you…

Typist: tell me fast. I’m lost.

Manager: I

Typist: hmm.. come on.

Manager: I love…

Typist: finish it fast. You are killing me.

Manager: I love your friend Amudha.

Typist: (pointing to M) hey………..?!(fainting)

No comments:

Post a Comment