Wednesday 24 May 2017

Home – a hell on earth or a heaven on earth?

Today’s English
May 25th, 2017

Though hell is a place of suffering meant for sinners, the word is a frequently used one to express anger, disgust, trouble, complaint, curse, criticism and all such negative feelings.  The English expressions carrying “hell” are in abundance.  Here are a few to enlighten us:

If you feel that something is impossible to happen, you can use "a cold day in the hell".

1.If Ranjani passes the maths exam, it will be a cold day in the hell.
2.I’ve never seen him come on time.  Suppose it happens, it will be a cold day in hell.

You can call any place or  experience that you don’t like as “a living hell” or “helll on earth”.

1.How is your hostel? It’s really a hell on earth.
2.Even a home is a living hell if you always quarrel with your wife.

When you give somebody a tough time especially in games or play in an aggressive manner for a duration of time, it is expressed as “forty minutes of hell”.

1.They gave us forty minutes of hell and at last we won the match.
2.The little boy gave me forty minutes of hell and it was difficult for me to change his mind.

From hell to breakfast is another beautiful expression that means “everywhere” and “in all places".

1.I searched for my bike key from hell to breakfast but couldn’t find it.
2.We went from hell to breakfast but no rental house was available that day.

If somebody gives you a trouble, you can say –“don’t play hell with me!”

1.Don’t play hell with my class. Keep quiet or get out!
2.He often played hell with her and she left the town.

(Friend 1 : How was the interview?
Friend 2: They gave me forty minutes of hell.
Friend 1: You mean, all questions were tough?
Friend 2: yes. They played hell with me.
Friend 1: How was the interview place?
Friend 2: it was a hell on earth.
Friend 1: will you get the job?
Friend 2: if I get it, it will be a cold day in the hell.
Friend 1: What the hell are you talking? I will throw you into hell if you say hell once more.
Friend 2: …………….?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment