Wednesday 24 May 2017

Speak Shakespeare’s English

Today’s English
May 24th, 2017

A lot of English expressions have been Shakespeare’s gift to English language.  Many of them have become a part of day-to-day English and we scarcely recognise them as Shakespeare's.   I’ve already introduced some of them on April 12th.  Let’s try a few more today:

1.A fool’s paradise

Meaning: to be in a state of happiness arising from false hope

From : Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene 4

Examples:
A.Don’t be in a fool’s paradise by thinking that your son’s job will end up your woes.
B.Demonetization didn’t solve black money issue and proved that we just lived in a fool’s paradise.

2.A foregone conclusion

Meaning: a result that is well-known and obvious to all before it is officially announced

Source: Othello, Act III, Scene 3

Examples:
A.It’s a foregone conclusion that he will secure centum maths.
B.The election result is a foregone conclusion and his party will certainly win.

3.The be-all and end-all of something

Meaning: the most important part, everything that matters

Source: Macbeth, Act I, Scene 7

Examples:
A.She is the be-all and end-all of my life. (=she is the most important part of my life.)
B.This is my dream project -the be-all and end-all of my career.(=it’s everything that matters to me.)

3.It’s all Greek to me!
Meaning: I can’t understand it.
Source: Julius Caesar, Act I, Scene 2

Examples:
A.He explained me in detail about its mechanism. But it’s all Greek to me.
B.Do you understand what I say? Sorry. It’s all Greek to me.

4.Fair play
Meaning: done honestly and fairly as per the rules or procedure
Source: The Tempest, Act V, Scene 1
Examples:
A.The principal/HOD should ensure fair play while assigning works to the staff members.
B.Whatever is the game, she always makes a fair play and wins.

(Girl:: How much do you love me?

Boy: You are the be-all and end-all of my life.

Girl: will you get a govt job soon as my dad said?

Boy: it’s a foregone conclusion.

Girl: My friends say, I live in a fool’s paradise and I should not believe you.

Boy: I may be sportive in nature but what I do in your case is a fair play.
Girl: Will you come with me in all my troubles?

Boy: I will be with you like All out and Goodnight and keep all your mosquitos away.

Girl: it’s all Greek to me. What I understand is only your love.)

No comments:

Post a Comment