Saturday 13 May 2017

What is there in your belt?

Today’s English
May 13th, 2017

When your friend suggests you something to buy, you might already have it at home. Similarly when your friend talks about his achievement or somebody else’s achievement, you may recall and say that you have already achieved such things. Strangely this idea is expressed in English through the idiom “to have something under your belt.”

1.Why can’t you try these saris? Oh, no! I already have them under my belt. ( = I have already bought such saris.)

2.You say that she has scored centum in  three subjects. But I too had it under my belt during my school days. (= I too made such achievements).

Cost of living is so high especially in cosmopolitan cities.  Sometimes when you have less money in a month, you have to spend them very carefully and economically. This is a typical situation for many middle class families and they can try this expression – “to tighten one’s belt" that means “to spend the available less money very carefully.”

1.Shall we go for shopping this evening? No way. This month I have to tighten my belt.

2.My salary is still not credited. I have to tighten my belt for few days.

You generally say “please, keep quiet!” if you are disturbed by someone's talk.  You say, “shut up your mouth” if you hit the ceiling.  Have you ever tried “belt up” .  It is a bit more rudely saying “shut up".

1.Belt up I say! Will you?

2.The moment he cried “belt up", there remained complete silence.

(Boy : Wanna this mobile?

Girl: No.

Boy:  have you already had this kind of mobile under your belt?

Girl: stupid! I never wear belt.

Boy: Ok. I understand your problem. But you don’t .

Girl: What’s your problem?

Boy: You know, we have only 300 rupees this month. We have to tighten our belt.

Girl: What the hell are you talking! Both of us don’t put on any belt today. How can we tighten our belt?

Boy: You are killing me… Belt up your sweet mouth, will you?)

No comments:

Post a Comment