Friday 19 May 2017

Confusions with As and Like ?

Today’s English
May 20th, 2017

I have seen many people to use as and like interchangeably assuming that both have the same meaning.  But they are not.

1.Like = similar to, not really, as = actually is, (often used to describe somebody’s function, job)
He worked like a teacher. (His work was similar to that of a teacher, but he is not actually a teacher)
He behaved like a manager. (He is not really a manager)
He worked as a teacher. (= He was a teacher)
He worked as a manager in TVS.( =He was a manager)
As a father, I have done my duty. (=He is the father)
I want to help you like a father. (= He is not really the father)

2.When we make a comparison of two things or persons, we generally use “like", not “as”
Like Vijay, Ajith is a mass hero.
Like Chennai, Coimbatore is a big city. (Not: as Chennai, Coimbatore is a big city.)

3.Like is used in the case of appearance and behavior but as is used to refer to function.
Vow! You look like a celebrity in this dress. (Appearance)
He worked sincerely as his father did. (Function)

4.Both as and like can be used to give examples. In such cases, as is used as “such as"
I don’t like sentimental TV serials like Vani Rani.
Children are fond of watching horror movies such as Kanchana and Aranmanai.

5.As means really but as if means not really
He completed his work as a project manager. (He is the project manager)
He behaved as if he is the project manager. (He is not the project manager)

Boy(drunken): Hey!  Who is this fellow? He is behaving like your father.

Girl: My God! He is really my father.

Boy: who is this  funny lady? She is making such a blah, blah, blah as if she is your mother.

Girl: What the hell you are talking! She is my mother.

Boy: hey! who is this guy coming with manacle as though he is a police and gonna arrest me?

Girl: You are doomed! He’s my brother working as a sub inspector.

Boy: ………….?!

No comments:

Post a Comment