Thursday 4 May 2017

Can you walk on air?

Today’s English
May 4th, 2017

You are not a magician. You can still walk on air. In English, the expression “walk on air" simply means “to feel very happy”. 

1. Everybody walks on air when they get a government job.
2. She proposed to me and I really walked on air.

You can also do another wonder. Why can’t you try to walk on eggs?  Yes, you can.  If you do something very carefully, especially not to disturb or offend somebody, it means in English that you are walking on eggs.

1. Please walk on eggs. My mom’s sleeping.
2. Whenever you enter the principal's room, don’t forget to walk on eggs.

There is one more expression “walk all over somebody" that means “treat somebody very badly without giving importance to their needs".  The same expression is also used in the meaning of “to defeat somebody very easily".  Perhaps just by treating the enemies badly, some people may think that they have defeated their foes very easily.

1. The manager has walked all over me (=has treated me badly).  Let me teach him a lesson one day.
2. In the fight between Bahubali and his enemies, it's always he who walks all over them. (=defeats them easily)

[immediately after marriage]
Man 1 : How do you feel now?
Man 2: I walk on air.

[2years after marriage]
Man 1 : How do you feel now?
Man 2: I walk on eggs.

[10 years after marriage]
Man 1 : How do you feel now?
Man 2: My wife walks all over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment