Wednesday 3 May 2017

Learn English by Standing Before Mirror

Today’s English
May 3rd, 2017

Just stand before the mirror and look at your body.  I’m sure, each part your body can help you speak more in English.  There are plenty of English expressions connected with the organs of our own constitution. Let us try a few now:

1.Let your hair down = to relax yourself and enjoy

Just for laugh programme was so funny. I completely let my hair down.
Why are you so serious? It’s time to let your hair down.

2.Follow your nose = go straight ahead

Where’s the Shiva temple here? Just follow your nose and you will find it within a mile.
Are we on the right track?  I hope so, just follow your nose.

3.Be all ears = eagerly waiting to listen/hear

Are you interested in what I say? Yes, I’m all ears.
Whenever the class starts, she is all ears.

4.Read my lips = listen carefully
Please read my lips. I’m gonna tell a secret about her.
Let me tell you the expected questions for the exam. Read my lips.

5.Be/stand head and shoulder above somebody = be much better than

He was head and shoulder above anyone else in the office.
Her presentation stood head and shoulders above the rest.

6.To give / get a free hand = to give /get an opportunity to do as you wish

First year syllabus was framed without giving a free hand to the committee members.
My father has given me a free hand to choose my life partner.

7.Get your finger out = Do some work

If you want to pass the exam, first get your finger out.
Mere expectations won’t help you. Go and get your finger out.

8.At your mother’s knee = when you are very young

I have watched Shivaji's movies at my mother’s knee.
She used to hear many moral stories at her mother’s knee.

9.To run off your feet = to be very busy
You can’t contact him now. He’s running off his feet.
Shall I call you some other time if you are running off your feet.

10. Under somebody’s heel = completely under the control of someone
Before 1947, India was under the heel of British empire.
I’m a free bird. Nobody can keep me under their heel.

“The Church says: the body is a sin.
Science says: the body is a machine.
Advertising says: The body is a business.
The Body says: I am a fiesta.”
- Eduardo Galeano, in "Walking Words"



No comments:

Post a Comment