Friday 5 May 2017

Differences – still, yet and already

Today’s English
May 5th, 2017

All these three words are adverbs used in different situations:

Yet – something has not happened as expected (mostly used at the end of questions and negatives)

Already – something happened before one’s expectations

Still – something going on even at the time of speaking as not expected or surprisingly

1.Haven’t you submitted your project yet? (Don’t use still here)
2.He hasn’t come yet. (Don’t use still)
3.I have already collected the data. (Finished earlier than expected)
4.She is already on the spot. (Happened sooner than expected)
5.I’m still going to gym.
6.It’s still raining and we can’t go out.

Remember: still is a continuation of something; yet is a query or report on incompleteness; already means completion.

(Boy : will you mind, if I open my heart to you?
Girl : I'm afraid, I’m already in love with your friend.
Boy: What….?! What does he say?
Girl: He hasn’t opened his heart yet.
Boy: why?
Girl: He is still looking for a good job.
Boy: Can please keep me at least in waiting list?
Girl: ………….?! )

No comments:

Post a Comment