Monday 1 May 2017

Which is correct - it's me or it's I?

Today’s English
May 1st, 2017

When you go to your friend’s house and knock at the door, he may ask -who is that?  What will you say -it’s me! Or it’s I.  Another similar problem arises in comparison. She is taller than me Or she is taller than I -which is correct? This is a typical grammatical issue associated with personal pronouns and just the following two points will guide you on the way.

I, we, he, she and they are subjective pronouns since they are used as subjects but me, us, him, her and them are objective pronouns as they are used as objects. You and it are both subjective and objective.

1.I called him at once. (I -subjective, him – objective)
2.He tortured me. (He -subjective, me-objective)

Traditional grammarians, the purists of English language argue that subjective pronouns should be used after “than" but modern English, especially informal spoken English prefers only objective forms in such places:

1.It is I. (More formal and traditional)
It is me. (Informal, spoken and modern accepted usage)
2.She is more beautiful than I. (More formal but uncommon)
She is more beautiful than me.(modern spoken English)
3.Who said that?
It’s she. (Traditional English and more uncommon)
It’s him. / he did.(Commonly accepted modern usage)
4.Uma and me are going to a movie.(Informal but considered incorrect in formal contexts)
Uma and I are going to a movie.(More correct)
5.Between you and I, there is nothing. (Incorrect)
Between you and me, there is something. (Correct)

Remember!  After main verb and preposition, use objective forms(me, us, him, her, them) and along with other nouns or pronouns in subject, use subjective forms (I, we, he, she, they) as in the example 4.

(Husband : who ordered this pizza from Dominos?
Wife: It’s me!
Husband: Who ordered this new mobile from Flipkart?
Wife: It’s also me!
Husband: What’s this message again… who booked 6 tickets for Bahubali-2?
Wife: It’s again me!
Husband: What the hell you're doing? Who will pay money for all these?
Wife: It’s you! You and I are made for each other! )


No comments:

Post a Comment