Thursday 25 May 2017

Would you like to die with your boots on?

Today’s English
May 26th, 2017

You may not wear any boots but your English can do.  Boots are a symbol of duty, majesty and service to one’s nation.  This may be the reason why it has got its entry into a lot of English expressions. Some interesting expressions with boots are given below with examples:

Have you seen some people to work somewhere even after retirement? Such people will die with their boots on, i.e. while they are at service/working.

1.Even at this old age, he goes to work. I’m sure, he will die with his boots on.
2.I would never like to die with my boots on. (=I will never work after retirement.)

If you maintain good health without any sickness or injury for the most part of your life, it means that you are “as tough as old boots.” This phrase also refers to the stubbornness of a person. You can use it even to refer to hard food that cannot be chewed.

1.Our forefathers were as tough as old boots. (=They were rarely ill.)
2.She is as tough as old boots. You cannot change her mind. (= she is so stubborn.)
3.Chappathi served in the hostel was as tough as old boots.

If a sportsman stops playing and retires, it is said that he “hangs up his boots.”
1.He officially announced that he is going to hang up his boots with this match.
2.Many world champions like Ric Flair and Justin Henin declared to hang up their boots but soon returned to sports to take up their boots again.

If a person says something to please another person in order to get some personal advantages, it is expressed through “to lick someone’s boots.” (use it with caution only to cut jokes in informal situation)
1.I will never lick his boots for my promotion.
2.You are a great genius madam. Hey! Why do you lick my boots?

Your higher official may retire or leave the station giving a way to you to take up the position he held so for.  This is what “step into someone’s shoes/boots” means.
1.I step into my HOD's shoes next month.
2.She was never afraid of stepping into her father’s shoes to run the business.

(Father : I have been as tough as old boots.

Son: You always speak truth, dad.

Father: My daily work is the source of my good health. I wish I die with my boots on.

Son: As you like it. I’ll even bury you with your shoes, if you wish.

Father: Will you never you step into my shoes?

Son: Never dad. It’s quite unfit for me. My size is only 10.

Father: …………..?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment